Triple Cream Goat Brie, Grilled Dark Rye Crumble, Blackberry Beet Jam
TRIPLE CREAM GOAT BRIE, GRILLED DARK RYE CRUMBLE, BLACKBERRY BEET JAM
Write a review
- 3 cups red beet juice
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon malt vinegar
- 1 pt. fresh blackberries
- 4-5 sprigs fresh picked thyme leaves
- 1 zest of a lemon
- 1- ½ Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 pods lightly crushed green cardamom seeds (optional)
BRIE + CRUMBLE INGREDIENTS
- 1 8oz wheel Triple cream goat cheese brie (room temperature)
- 1 loaf sliced dark rye bread
- 7 sprigs picked fresh thyme leaves
- In heavy bottom pan, combine 1 cup sugar and water. Bring to boil and reduce to glaze consistency, no color. Add red wine vinegar and continue to reduce until glaze consistency. Then add beet juice, ½ cup sugar, 1 Tablespoon malt vinegar and cardamom seeds. Continue to reduce to final glaze state. Pull off heat and let sit room temp about 5 min. Remove and discard cardamom seeds. Taste. Add the remaining malt vinegar and or lemon juice to balance the sweetness, or add the remaining sugar to balance the acid. Place back on heat if glaze becomes too thin reduce. Add black pepper, lemon zest, picked thyme, and blackberries. Lightly crush the berries with the back of a spoon. The residual heat should gently breakdown the berries, yet keep their robust bright flavor and texture. Season with fine sea salt.
- For the Grilled Rye Crumble, brush ½ loaf of rye bread lightly with oil. Season salt and pepper. Grill on both sides. In 350 degree oven, dry out grilled bread and the remaining loaf until “cracker like” texture, about 5 min. Pulse briefly in food processor or crush with hands, leaving some larger pieces for texture.
- Add picked thyme leaves.
- To assemble the brie, remove the top rind of the cheese, exposing the creamy interior. Cover the top with a layer of rye crumble and gently press the crumble into the soft cheese. Add a layer of blackberry beet jam, then again a lighter topping of the rye crumble. Garnish with sliced Kalamata olives. Serve with any cured meat, such as serrano ham, or just a spoon.
- Enjoy with Casillero de Diablo Carmenere!
Virtual Cooking School http://www.virtualcookingschool.com/