Carpaccio of Salmon with a Kiwi and Strawberry Compote, served on Greens
Pairs with: TRIVENTO RESERVE TORRONTES
Write a review
For the salmon
- 1 pound of salmon fillet, skinned
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, ground to a powder 1/4 cup sugar 1/4 cup coarse salt
For the compote
- 2 scallions, chopped, using some of the tender green part
- 1/2 a red bell pepper, seeded and cut into small dice
- 1 kiwi, skinned and cut into small dice
- 4 strawberries, hulled and cut into small dice
- 1 medium leek, well cleaned and cut into small dice, using only the tender white part
- The juice from 2 medium lemons
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper 1/4 cup Trivento extra virgin olive oil, plus a little extra for serving
- 1 large bunch of arugula, stemmed
Prepare the salmon
- Dust the salmon with the ground fennel seed and then coat it all over with the salt and sugar. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 10 hours or overnight.
Cook the compote
- Place the scallions, bell pepper, kiwi, strawberries, and leeks in a medium sized pot. Add the lemon juice, the sugar, a pinch of salt and a few grindings of black pepper. Add ¼ cup of olive oil. Cook over low heat, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has achieved the consistency of jam, about 30 minutes. Refrigerate for a few hours.
- Divide the arugula up onto four small plates. Slice the salmon very thinly and arrange it alongside the arugula. Top each serving with a tablespoon or so of the compote. Finish each dish with a drizzle of fresh olive oil.
Virtual Cooking School http://www.virtualcookingschool.com/