Reverse Seared Tri-Tip with Malbec Glaze
REVERSE SEARED TRI-TIP WITH MALBEC GLAZE
pair with: TRIVENTO RESERVE MALBEC
Write a review
- 1 large beef tri-tip (2 to 2-1/2 pounds)
- coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- garlic powder
- hot pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup malbec in a spray bottle
- Set up your smoker following the manufacturer’s instructions and preheat to 225°F. Add the wood as specified by the manufacturer.
- Generously season the tri-tip on all sides with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and hot pepper flakes. Drizzle the tri-tip with olive oil, rubbing it and the spices into the meat.
- Place the tri-tip in the smoker as far away from fire as possible. Smoke the tri-tip until the internal temperature reaches 100°F, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Start spraying the tri-tip with wine after 15 minutes and continue spraying every 15 minutes.
- Transfer the tri-tip to a wire rack over a foil pan and let rest, loosely tented with foil, for at least 10 minutes or up to a half hour.
- Meanwhile, set up your smoker or grill for direct grilling and heat to high.
- Lightly brush or drizzle the tri-tip on both sides with olive oil. Place it on the grate over the fire and direct grill until the top and bottom are sizzling and darkly crusted and the internal temperature reaches 120 degrees (for rare) and 130 degrees (for medium-rare).
- Serve the tri-tip hot off the grill very thinly sliced across the grain. (There’s no need to let it rest—you did so after smoking.)
- Enjoy with Trivento Reserve Malbec!
Virtual Cooking School http://www.virtualcookingschool.com/